The field of music education covers all forms of musical learning and music experience, both in the teacher education programmes in music and in research in music education.
The field of music education at KMH also includes education and research in the subject of music and health and music therapy, music and society/music history courses, as well as the supervised instructional education led by music teacher students.
The Teacher Education Programme
As Sweden's only independent institution for higher music education, KMH is also the only one entitled to award a teacher education degree in music.
The scientific core of the teacher education, which includes pedagogy, psychology, research methodology and more, is pervaded by music at KMH. Subject didactics are studied through practical music. Internship in the Stockholm area schools provides a professional basis for tomorrow's teachers and educators.
Studies in music education
The Master Programme in Music Education provides an important opportunity for competence development in lifelong learning, thus serving as a valuable meeting place for professionals active in different areas of music – with and without connection to teaching.
The Master (one-year) programme in music therapy provides knowledge of how music is used in health promotion and therapeutic purposes. The education is aimed at people with extensive experience of music making and who have an understanding of different music cultures and music functions.
Teachers in music education
KMH's teachers in music education represent both theoretical excellence and solid professional experience. These are, among others:
- Anna Backman Bister – senior lecturer in music education
- Eva Bojner Horwitz – professor of music and health
- Annika Falthin – senior lecturer in music education
- Per-Henrik Holgersson – senior lecturer in music education
- Erkki Huovinen – professor of music education
- Filip Kvissberg – senior lecturer in ensemble playing
- Ronny Lindeborg – senior lecturer in music education
- Eva Wedin – senior lecturer in Dalcroze eurhythmics
- Ann-Sofie Paulander – senior lecturer in music therapy
- Kenji Rabson – senior lecturer in ensemble
- Bo Rosenkull – senior lecturer in vocal methodology
- David Thyrén – senior lecturer in music and society
- Päivikki Wirkkala-Malmqvist – senior lecturer in string methodology
and a number of lecturers and hourly-paid teachers.
Music Education Department Contacts
Director of Studies: Lena Lidström, +46-707-588295
Director of Studies: Björg Ollén, +46-72-1460782
Director of Studies KPU: Ann-Britt Werner
Music Therapy Education Coordinator: Ann-Sofie Paulander
During the education, the students in the teacher education programme have training students who are taught individually and in ensembles of different ages and at different stages.
Reflection and research related to music education
Mind the Music
As the students at the performance programmes, the teacher students present their own annual manifestation in the form of concerts or performances. Mind the Music is the name of their spring mini-festival.
Not only music: About students' positioning in the comprehensive school music classroom.
is the name of Mikael Persson's doctoral thesis in music education.